Apr 14 - Community Message
Hello JLS Families,
I hope you and your families enjoyed a safe and relaxing Spring Break and now, after three days of school, you are feeling like you are "back in the groove.” We have many things happening this week, specifically preparing for CAASPP Testing and celebrating our student musicians with a special JLS Choir Concert tonight at 7:00PM! I realize Spring can be a busy time, and I hope you and your loved ones are healthy and doing well.
Please read this message to learn about many upcoming events:
- Rescheduling of JLS Principal Chat - Friday, April 16 rescheduled to Wednesday, April 21, 2021 at 8:30-9:20 AM
- CAASSP Testing: Practicing now, testing begins next week!
- PAUSD Parent Leadership Summit - Saturday, April 17
- Parent Ed: Parenting Through The Pandemic - Wednesday, April 28
- Take-Home COVID Tests through Predicine Inc., starting tomorrow!
Rescheduling JLS Principal Chat from Friday, April 16 to Wednesday, April 21
Instead of joining me this Friday, please join the Principal Coffee/Chat presentation on Wednesday, April 21 at 8:30 AM. Topics will include plans for the remainder of the school year, including 8th Grade Promotion. Here is the Zoom Link: https://pausd.zoom.us/j/99873767585
April 19 CAASPP Testing Information
Today and Friday are our practice days to make sure we are prepared for these standardized tests. As you have hopefully heard by now, state testing will begin on Monday, April 19. Students will test online through their Advisory classes in two sessions: 10:00AM-12:00PM, and again from 1:00-3:00PM. If your child is using a personal device, they will need to download the secure browser for testing no later than tomorrow, April 15 in preparation for the practice sessions held on Friday, April 16 in Advisory classes. (Please note: PAUSD laptops already have the secure browser installed).
If you need help, PAUSD is offering drop-in tech support tonight and Thursday, April 15th from 5:00-8:00PM (see our Genius Hours flyer for more information). Once installed, students access the secure browser. On test days - April 19 and April 26 - please help to make sure your child’s device is charged and ready for testing. Additional information has also been posted in Schoology for your child to review.
April 17 PAUSD Parent Leadership Summit
April 17th district-wide Parent Leadership Summit. Sign-Up To Attend!
Equity for Academic Success: Saturday, April 17, 9:00AM-1:00PM With Special Keynote: Kiran Gaind
Equity for Academic Success: Aptly named as the sessions in this day of the series revolve around the idea of truly teaching every child. The sessions on this day will focus on supporting diverse learners, teaching the whole child, bringing culture into the classroom, breaking down cultural barriers and biases, and the pathway towards college and career success.
A special racial/ethnic affinity listening session will be hosted by PAUSD staff to get feedback from diverse groups on their experiences in PAUSD and hear what teachers, staff, students, and parents need and would like to see to build a more inclusive environment and work towards an equitable and antiracist organization. Although the affinity groups are grouped along racial lines, the experiences of LGBTQ+, students with disabilities, and other diverse groups may be addressed in all breakouts.
April 28 PAUSD FREE Parent Education Event
"Parenting Through the Pandemic: What's Next" through Common Sense Media on April 28, and features Dr. Madeline Lavine. Topics include anxiety, resilience, social media, and rules for tech use. All PAUSD parents can attend. Registration is required and the session is for parents of younger and older children.
Reminder: Take-Home COVID Testing Kits Available Tomorrow
As you may recall, PAUSD has launched the take-home COVID-19 tests for middle school and high school students. Starting tomorrow, our in-person students will be able to take home Predicine tests every other week. When students check in tomorrow (Thursday, April 15) they will be offered a test kit along with a printed copy of the School Test Requisition Form. Please have a conversation with your child about whether or not to participate in this opportunity.
- Before completing the test, parents must first register and complete the Online Consent Form. When registering, the parent must select the STUDENTS profile to sign up, not PARENTS/FAMILY.
- Please follow these instructions for how to complete the test. You can also find a quick guide to the instructions in Spanish, Mandarin, and Vietnamese.
- Once the nasal swab has been taken, it is important to attach the enclosed barcodes correctly. One is placed on the test tube horizontally and one is placed on the School Test Requisition Form. This form must be placed in the pouch at the back of the bag labeled "Place paperwork here."
- Students should return their test kit, along with the Requisition Form, on Friday, April 16, when they check in. Tests will be picked up by the courier and taken to Predicine around 1:00 PM on Friday.
- Parents will be informed of test results by Predicine.
We expect to have three additional dates for test kit distribution: Tuesday, April 27, Thursday, May 13 and Tuesday, May 25. We are alternating between Tuesdays and Thursdays to provide this opportunity to all groups of in-person students at JLS. If you have questions, please feel free to contact JLS Health Technician, Carol Cannon, email@example.com. Phone: (650) 856-5178.
Thank you for taking the time to read this message from JLS. If you have questions, please reach out to any member of our staff team.
Chris Grierson, JLS Principal (firstname.lastname@example.org)
JLS Contact Information:
- 6th Grade Counselor - Arvind Arya, email@example.com
- 6th Grade Assistant Principal - Amy Sheward, firstname.lastname@example.org
- 7th Grade Counselor - Alexandria (Alex) Osornia, email@example.com
- 7th Grade Assistant Principal - Adam Nelson, firstname.lastname@example.org
- 8th Grade Counselor - Adriana Flores, email@example.com
- 8th Grade Dean of Students - Hanisi Accetta, firstname.lastname@example.org
- JLS Tech Support - Frank Gonzales, email@example.com