Mar 31 - Community Message
Hello JLS Families,
I hope you are looking forward to Spring Break. This has certainly been a challenging time, and my own children (a 7th grade daughter and 5th grade son) are very excited to have a break from their own school routines. I hope that you and your loved ones enjoy the time Spring Break provides to rest, relax, and rejuvenate.
However, before we get to Spring Break, we do have a few important reminders and announcements for you to be aware of. Today, we had a Principal Chat (slide deck) to share how in-person and online teaching and learning is going at JLS, and we also had an Earthquake Practice Drill this afternoon. I am happy to report that it took us less than 15 minutes to account for all in-person students and staff members, and now, half of our in-person students have practiced reporting to their second period teacher in the event of an emergency. Tomorrow afternoon we’ll have another Practice (Fire) Drill, so all students who are currently attending in-person classes are aware of the emergency safety procedures we follow when at school.
Friday, April 2, 2021 = District-wide Minimum Day (Please see the special schedule.)
- ALL 6th grade students will all be online via Distance Learning (no in-person classes)
- 7th and 8th grade will be in-person or online, depending on their assigned in-person days
- Grab ‘n Go Lunch will be provided.
PAUSD Spring Break is Monday, April 5 through Friday, April 9, 2021. We look forward to seeing JLS students again (online) on Monday, April 12, 2021!
ParentSquare Information - Reminders Returning from Spring Break: Please install the ParentSquare App for your convenience on your mobile device. We will be transitioning all JLS messages to the ParentSquare application for ease of translation for all parents.
- A helpful How-To document and screencast for parents is posted on our PAUSD website.
- You will also find a link to the health screener at the top of our school website for easy access. The website link will go to the ID Portal login, and when successful, redirect directly to the ParentSquare page.
Take-Home COVID Testing Coming Soon: PAUSD will be launching the take home tests for middle school and high school students after Spring Break, beginning Tuesday, April 13, 2021. We anticipate our distribution plan will be finalized soon, and as soon as the plan is ready, we will share it with all of you. Please stay tuned for more information.
April 17 PAUSD Parent Leadership Summit (Sign-Up To Attend!) If you missed the Family Leadership Summit kick-off event from Saturday, March 27th, 2021 don’t worry. There will be another date offered on April 17, 2021. See the links above to register. Here is a preview of what was shared, learned, and discussed at the kick-off event.
A special racial/ethnic affinity listening session will be hosted by PAUSD staff to get feedback from diverse groups on their experiences in PAUSD and hear what teachers, staff, students, and parents need and would like to see to build a more inclusive environment and work towards an equitable and antiracist organization. Although the affinity groups are grouped along racial lines, the experiences of LGBTQ+, students with disabilities, and other diverse groups may be addressed in all breakouts.
Equity for Academic Success: Saturday, April 17, 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM, with Keynote from Kiran Gaind. The sessions in this day of the series revolve around the idea of truly teaching every child. The breakdown of sessions on this day will focus on supporting diverse learners, teaching the whole child, bringing culture into the classroom, breaking down cultural barriers and biases, and the pathway towards college and career success.
Thank you for taking the time to read this message from JLS. We have many things to be grateful for, including the partnership we share with families. If you have questions, please reach out to any member of our staff team.
Chris Grierson, JLS Principal (email@example.com)
JLS Contact Information:
- 6th Grade Counselor - Arvind Arya, firstname.lastname@example.org
- 6th Grade Assistant Principal - Amy Sheward, email@example.com
- 7th Grade Counselor - Alexandria (Alex) Osornia, firstname.lastname@example.org
- 7th Grade Assistant Principal - Adam Nelson, email@example.com
- 8th Grade Counselor - Adriana Flores, firstname.lastname@example.org
- 8th Grade Dean of Students - Hanisi Accetta, email@example.com
- JLS Tech Support - Frank Gonzales, firstname.lastname@example.org