Oct 7 - Return to Learn Community Message
Good Evening JLS Families!
I hope this email finds you well. As we approach the end of the First Quarter of the school year, something we are all aware of is how to keep school life fun and interesting, even from a distance. With this goal in mind, we advertised a few special events through Sunday’s PTA eNews, but I also wanted to make sure they were at the top of your Inbox as you start to look ahead to next week.
Next Week is “80’s Week” at JLS! The JLS Leadership Class (also known as Panther Association of Leadership and Service, or “PALS”), has organized an optional Spirit Week for October 12-16. Please encourage your student to check out Schoology or the KJLS archives for more details.
Principal’s Coffee on Wednesday, October 14, 8:30 AM-9:20 AM. Our next Principal Coffee will include Megan Warter, JLS School Psychologist, and Chris Grierson, JLS Principal. We look forward to presenting the following information about Special Education During Distance Learning. Topics will include:
- Overview of Special Education in middle school
- How school is supporting special needs students during distance learning
- How parents can support their students
- Return to school plans for special needs students
- Questions & Answers? (If time allows.)
This Coffee will take place October 14 from 8:30 AM-9:20 AM. Families of students in SpEd will get an individual Zoom Invite and an input questionnaire prior to the event.
Parent Ed Virtual Event: Special Speaker Scott Fried, Wednesday, October 14, 7:30 PM. Please join us for a special virtual Parent Ed event, sponsored by all three Palo Alto middle schools. We will be hearing from popular author and speaker, Scott Fried on the topic "Parenting Through a Pandemic." How can we show up for the teens in our life? How can we convey to them that we are here, when we don’t know how to answer so many of their questions? Using some of the tools in his newest book, “How to Raise an Elegant Teen: The ABCs of Gen Z Parenting,” Scott will help parents explore ways in which we can best support our young people through the ups and downs of life. We will also focus on the importance of us practicing self-care as adults. We hope you consider giving yourself this hour with Scott to listen, learn and grow alongside other adults who are supporting teens.
Important Reminders About Visiting the JLS Campus:
- Visits are made by appointment only. Please either email a JLS staff member or call the Office at 650-856-5188 to schedule a time to come to our campus.
- While on campus, everyone needs to adhere to social distancing guidelines. Please stay at least 6 feet apart from other individuals.
- Individuals will need to wear masks while on campus.
- Individuals must leave campus immediately after their appointment is complete. No socializing or loitering on campus is allowed.
We are sensitive to the fact that families may be inundated with information coming from the school sites and district. In order to focus on the most pertinent information, I will be sending our next community message out on Wednesday, October 14, 2020.
Chris Grierson, JLS Principal (email@example.com)
JLS Contact Information:
- 6th Grade Counselor - Arvind Arya, firstname.lastname@example.org
- 6th Grade Assistant Principal - Amy Sheward, email@example.com
- 7th Grade Counselor - Ko Vue firstname.lastname@example.org
- 7th Grade Assistant Principal - Adam Nelson email@example.com
- 8th Grade Counselor - Ellie Messinger-Adams firstname.lastname@example.org
- 8th Grade Dean of Students - Hanisi Accetta email@example.com