Nov 4 - Principal's Update
Dear JLS Families,
Thank you for reading this update. In order to keep everyone informed and aware of important events within the JLS and PAUSD community, I’ve organized this Principal’s Update into a few categories:
- Grateful for Your Participation: PiE and Dance Support
- Student Life: Behavior Expectations (Masks, Phones, Lockers) and Getting Involved
- On the Horizon: Next Week’s Special Schedule and Progress Reports
The information in this update will also be presented tomorrow morning, during our monthly JLS Community Zoom. Please join us online tomorrow: Friday, November 5, 2021 at 8:45-9:30 AM.
Thank you! We are grateful for your participation and involvement.
Donations to Palo Alto Partners in Education (PiE) reflect the care and concern Palo Alto parents have for their children. PiE allows me to increase staffing in electives and counseling programs that truly enrich the academics, well-being, and future outlook for every student at JLS. To reach our school’s goal, we need 28 more families to make a gift. A donation, in any amount that is meaningful for your family, makes a difference to our community and our school.
If you have already donated to PiE this year, I appreciate your support. If you have not, I ask you to please consider making a donation now. If you donate or pledge by November 15, 2021, your donation may be matched by a Challenge Grant.
You can find out all the ways to make a contribution on PiE's website at: https://papie.org/donate/
Thank you for your help and support with our recent JLS dance! If your child attended our dance last Friday, I hope they had fun. The event was held outdoors and included close to 800 students, many staff members, and it would not have been successful without the enthusiastic and flexible support of about 60 parent volunteers. We look forward to our next school dance coming in February 2022. More information will come from our Leadership Class, the Panther Association of Leadership and Service (“PALS”).
Student Life: Behavior Expectations (Masks, Phones, Lockers) and Getting Involved
- These Behavior Expectations for Students were drafted at the beginning of October, and we are in the process of refining them. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to any JLS staff member.
- Masks must be worn at all times when students and staff are on campus.Please help us by reminding students that masks are MANDATORY at all times while on campus, indoors and outdoors. New, disposable masks are always available for anyone to pick up in the JLS Office.
- Phones are not allowed to be out during the school day. This includes during class time, during passing periods, during Brunch and during Lunch. Today I was on KJLS and reminded students that if a JLS staff member sees a student with their phone out, they will confiscate it; students may pick up their confiscated phone at the end of the school day. Please help us by reminding students to store phones in their locker during the school day, or don’t bring them to school at all.
- Lock your Lockers. To ensure your locker is secure, students should be sure to push the lock closed and spin the dial, then test it to make sure the lock has closed correctly.
- Getting Involved: Now that we are entering the middle of our school year, our clubs are in full swing. If your child is interested in joining a club, please refer them to this current club list. Similarly, we are excited about many upcoming student activities, such as our Turkey Trot on Friday, November 19. More info to come!
On the Horizon: Next Week’s Special Schedule and Progress Reports
- Special Schedule – November 8 thru November 12 (No School Thursday to observe Veterans Day). We will be on a special schedule this next week, due to the Thursday Veterans Holiday for all PAUSD students and staff. Please notice the shift in the bell schedule and release times.
- 2nd Quarter Grade Report Cards: Progress Grades Available on Friday, November 12, 2021. Starting on Friday, November 12, students and families will be able to check Infinite Campus to view their Reports for our Progress Grades. To check your child’s grades, please log in to the Infinite Campus Parent Portal and select your child’s name. You should be able to view Progress Grade Information. If you have any questions regarding the academic progress, please contact your child’s teacher directly.
Thank you for your continued interest, involvement and support of our school. If you have any questions, please reach out to any member of the JLS team.
We are grateful to be a part of this community with you!
Chris Grierson, JLS Principal (email@example.com)
Additional Contact Information:
Donna Hankins, 6th Grade Counselor (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Kim Lohse, 6th Grade Administrator (email@example.com)
Arvind Arya, 7th Grade Counselor (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Jeff Downing, 7th Grade Administrator (email@example.com)
Adriana Flores-Ragade, 8th Grade Counselor (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Hanisi Accetta, 8th Grade Administrator (email@example.com)
Carol Cannon, JLS Health Tech (firstname.lastname@example.org)