Sep 2 - Return to Learn Community Message
Hello JLS Families!
We hope this third week of school finds you and your family doing well and in a routine. Thank you for your flexibility and support as our students increase familiarity with the weekly schedule and become more comfortable in navigating online learning. This week’s communication includes some helpful reminders as well as some exciting news about things to come.
JLS Back to School Packets:
If you have already done so, thank you for filling out your back to school packets. This year, the back to school packets were online to make the process easier. The back to school packets contain important information for parents, and enable the school to provide support for all of our subject areas and electives classes. Access the JLS Online Back-to-School Packet here.
JLS Optional Counseling Survey:
The JLS Counseling Team has created an optional confidential survey for parents to inform counselors of any concerns regarding their student's social-emotional health and well being. We understand that the pandemic and remote schooling has added stress to families and children, and how this impacts children can vary from one child to another. We hope that you will take a moment to complete this survey to help support our counseling team's understanding of students' needs.
- English Counseling Support Survey
- Spanish Counseling Support Survey
- Mandarin Counseling Support Survey
In addition, if you would like to schedule an appointment with your grade level counselor, please indicate that on the bottom of the survey, or contact them using the email addresses listed below.
NEW - PAUSD Distance Learning Survey:
PAUSD’s first survey is available for parents and secondary students. The survey process will evolve over time and will narrow when necessary. This is our first attempt and expect to receive some information to inform future decisions about our program. The district survey can be accessed here.
NEW - JLS Library Plan:
We understand the importance of reading and getting books into student’s hands! Our teacher librarians have created a Library Plan that allows students to request and pick up books they want to read. Please find the attached document with directions. In addition, our JLS library team has put together a user friendly Screencastify video explaining all the steps (and demonstrating them) for students/parents to watch. This information will also be coming out through the JLS PTA eNews on Sunday, September 6.
Attendance procedures are the same as pre-COVID-19, and all classes are synchronous. Teachers will be taking mandatory attendance every class period. They will also be marking tardies if your student is late to sign into their class. The district auto-dialer will begin calling home for absences on Tuesday, September 8, 2020.
If you are going to miss a class for any reason, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred) or 650-856-5179.
When contacting the Attendance Office, please provide the following information (if leaving a voicemail message, please speak slowly and clearly and spell the first and last name of the student):
- First and last name of the student
- The grade level of the student
- Your name and state your relationship to the student.
- The reason for the absence and the days/periods missed (if no reason is given, it will be unexcused).
- Please only call OR email. Doing both is unnecessary.
- Parents/Guardians have 72 hours to excuse an absence. After 72 hours, documentation is required to excuse the absence.
We hope you have a relaxing three-day weekend. We have no school Monday, September 7 due to the Labor Day Holiday. School will resume on Tuesday, September 8 with the regular schedule of Period 1 beginning at 9:00 AM.
Stay safe and healthy,
Chris Grierson, JLS Principal, email@example.com
JLS School Contact Information:
- 6th Grade Counselor - Arvind Arya, firstname.lastname@example.org
- 6th Grade Assistant Principal - Amy Sheward, email@example.com
- 7th Grade Counselor - Ko Vue, firstname.lastname@example.org
- 7th Grade Assistant Principal - Adam Nelson, email@example.com
- 8th Grade Counselor - Ellie Messinger-Adams, firstname.lastname@example.org
- 8th Grade Dean of Students - Hanisi Accetta, email@example.com