Principal’s Update - JLS March Events, Reminders & Resources
Hello JLS Families,
Happy Friday! This message has a few important reminders:
- Special Schedule next week!
- PTA International Fair
- The Next Chapter - JLS Library Newsletter and Book Drive
- School Safety Plan Update
- Noon Angels Sign Up
- Project Cornerstone Modules
Special Schedule - Week of March 6, 2023:
We have a 4-day weekend coming up this month: No School Friday, March 10 and No School Monday, March 13, 2023. PAUSD Middle Schools will follow a special bell schedule next week with Monday being a “Friday schedule”. See below:
PTA International Fair: Wednesday, March 8 4:30-6:00 PM
Volunteers are needed to work together to create table displays for the 7 Continents - even Antarctica!
Sign up here - all tables will need to provide their own supplies, as there are no reimbursements available for this event. All contributions welcome. Work as a team and add decorations, posters, flyers, stickers, snacks, clothes or costumes, music or dance - bring your creativity!
The Next Chapter -- JLS Library Newsletter and current Book Drive!
Looking for a new home for your beloved picture books and early readers? JLS is hosting a BOOK DRIVE for the non-profit organization Access Books Bay Area which gives books to underfunded elementary schools in the bay area. Please donate gently used or new fiction or nonfiction books for readers in grades K - 5. Drop your books in the bins in the breezeway or the front office between now and Friday, March 17. Thanks so much for your support!
JLS School Safety Plan:
Today during our Principal’s Coffee, we discussed our recently Comprehensive School Safety Plan (CSSP) that was recently approved by our Site Council. Attached are our three goals with steps and measurements. As you’ll see, our approved plan will address three goal areas:
- Provide 100% of the staff with training opportunities in First Aid, CPR, Epi-Pen, Diabetes, Incident Command (ICS), Earthquake/Disaster Response, Safety Care Training (select staff), and Run Hide Fight (RHF) prior to the end of the first semester of the school year.
- Improve the physical safety of the campus for staff and students.
- Students will show improvements in each of the categories around Social Emotional Health as measured by the Panorama Survey.
Noon Angels Sign Up:
If you are interested in adding to our school’s safety and security, please consider signing up to be a Noon Angel! We have a team of about 30 parents who take turns throughout the week, and we are always looking for new energy! Sign up here!
Resources: Project Cornerstone SEL Modules for Middle School (2022-23)
The resources below come from Project Cornerstone. The JLS Site Council wanted all families to have access to these resources and use them asynchronously, as you see fit. Additional information is attached to this message.
- Module 1: Project Cornerstone Middle School SEL Module 1: Friendship Part 1: Art of Conversation
- Project Cornerstone Middle School SEL Module 2: Use Your Superpowers
- Project Cornerstone Middle School SEL Module 3: Positive Friendships, (Part 2)
- Project Cornerstone Middle School SEL Module 4: Teamwork and Collaboration
Thank you for your interest, involvement, and continued support of our school. If you have any questions, please reach out to any member of the JLS team.
Chris Grierson, JLS Principal (email@example.com)
Additional Contact Information:
- Hanisi Accetta, 6th grade Administrator, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Adriana Flores-Ragade, 6th grade Counselor, email@example.com
- Kim Lohse, 7th grade Administrator, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Carolyn Chang, 7th grade Counselor, email@example.com
- Sarah Pierce, 8th grade Administrator, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Arvind Arya, 8th grade Counselor, email@example.com
- Carol Cannon, JLS Health Tech, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jamey Boccio, JLS Attendance Secretary, email@example.com