Back to School
Dear JLS Families,
Welcome to the 2022-23 academic school year! The staff and I are proud of our school and the exemplary programs and learning experiences we offer all of our students. At JLS we share high expectations for ourselves as well as for your children/our students. It is our mission to educate and nurture all students in ways that will assist them to discover their potential as young adults. We look forward to working with you to support this goal, and we appreciate your partnership throughout the middle school years.
Below, please find
- back to school forms,
- "do now" list,
- key dates, and
- introductions to your administrators and counselors.
We encourage you to stay involved. As a parent/guardian there are multiple opportunities for you to stay connected and involved as your child navigates the challenging world of adolescence. In addition to email, phone calls, or in-person meetings with JLS staff, we also have other channels of information that help families stay informed and engaged:
- Regular Principal-Parent Conversations via Zoom, called “JLS Community Zoom”
- Parent Square Messages
- PTA-sponsored Principal Coffees
- In the PTA’s Back to School Forms, you’ll find many ways to get involved in your child’s school experience! See the second page of the forms to sign up!
- Based on their privacy preferences noted in Infinite Campus, parents are automatically added to Konstella, our school directory, and subscribed to eNews, our PTA newsletter.
6th grade parents sign up to volunteer for Panther Camp.
Thank you very much for supporting our school community. We - the JLS staff team - are looking forward to a positive and productive year, and we hope your family is too! If you have any questions, please explore the JLS website or contact us at (650) 856-5188.
See you soon!
Chris Grierson, JLS Principal, email@example.com
This year, the JLS Back-to-School information is online only. Please go through all sections of this Back-to-School packet to make sure you receive all of the necessary information to start the new school year. The PTA Back to School Forms are online at https://tinyurl.com/JLSforms2022.
For purchases and donations to JLS (Yearbook, PE Uniform, ASB, Library, Music, and 6th-grade), you can pay online by clicking this link (Requires ParentSquare account). To pay by cash or check, please go to the JLS main office and request a purchase form.
- Complete the Annual Data Update (or ADU) in Infinite Campus (log in at id.pausd.org).* Having your family’s current contact information is critical to accurate and timely communication.
- Seventh Grade Only – Verify up-to-date Tdap vaccination.*
- Sixth Grade Only – Read a brief description of 6th grade exploratory wheel classes.
- Sixth Grade Only – Read about JLS Panther Camp, our orientation program for 6th graders. We encourage 6th grade parents sign up to volunteer for Panther Camp.
- Sixth Grade Only – The first Bike Repair clinic will be offered at JLS on Friday, August 19 for 6th graders. Click here for more information and to sign up.
- Read the list of recommended school supplies. Individual teachers or teams may have additional requests during the first week of school.
- Discuss digital citizenship. Students will demonstrate that they can make good choices in the Digital Driver’s License quiz. Students who pass the quiz will earn a Schoology badge and be registered for a raffle that will distribute nice prizes several times during the year.
- Fill out the form for school purchases. For yearbook and PE uniform purchases and/or various donations, please use the form sent by email.
Complete the PTA Back to School Forms: https://tinyurl.com/JLSforms2022.
These contain information about how to join our PTA and make a tax-deductible donation, which is vital to funding our JLS programs.
Also review the information about our fun events this year, middle school sports, and ways to get involved.
- Make a Partners in Education donation. PiE funds important electives, music programs, counselors and classroom support. Learn more on PiE’s website. You may also donate via the Back to School Forms above. Thank you!
- Check out the FAQ for more detailed information.
* Students must have these two items completed; otherwise they will not be admitted to class in accordance with district policy.
August 1, Monday - JLS Office opens. Regular Hours are 7:30 AM to 4:00 PM Monday-Friday.
August 9, Tuesday - STUDENT SCHEDULES available at 10am. To view your student’s schedule, login to Infinite Campus. If you have questions, contact your child’s counselor.
- August 10, Wednesday - First Day of School. School starts at 8:30 AM and ends at 2:30 PM. During the first day of school students will follow a special schedule to visit all of their classes and meet all of their teachers. The JLS bell schedule can be found here.
- August 11 & 12, Thursday and Friday - Panther Camp (orientation program) for 6th Graders - On these two days, the 6th graders will not be in traditional classes.
August 12, Friday - The first PTA-sponsored Principal Coffee will be held at 8:45 AM on the brick patio outside the JLS Front Office.
August 17, Wednesday - Welcome Back Pizza Night begins at 5:30 PM.
August 19, Friday - Principal’s Community Zoom starts at 8:45 AM.
August 22, Monday - NO SCHOOL for students. This is a Staff Development Day.
August 24, Wednesday - Our Back-to School Night - Mark your calendars. More information will come through Parent Square.
August 26 & 30, Friday & Tuesday - School Pictures are scheduled during the school day.
- September 27, Tuesday - First Digital Driver’s License raffle for those students who have successfully completed the quiz.
The counselors invite you to reach out to talk! Learn more about them and the many ways they contribute to student wellness.
Meet the Principal, Assistant Principals, and Administrative TOSA who work closely with teachers and counselors to support JLS students.
- Hanisi Accetta, 6th grade Administrator, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Adriana Flores-Ragade, 6th grade Counselor, email@example.com
- Kim Lohse, 7th grade Administrator, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Carolyn Chang, 7th grade Counselor, email@example.com
- Sarah Pierce, 8th grade Administrator, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Arvind Arya, 8th grade Counselor, email@example.com
PiE raises money from parents and the community to provide all Palo Alto Unified School District students an educational experience beyond what is possible with public funding. Learn more on PiE's website. At JLS, your PiE donation funds electives, music, counselors, and classroom support.